This was a crazy piece to deal with!
First of all it came to me by a circuitous route. I spotted it back around December @ the SA. I looked it over and felt that the price didn’t warrant the amount of work that I would have to put into. So I walked away. Fast forward about a month. I was on a ‘scouting’ trip to the SA again and was talking to one of the employees about whether another piece would fit in my car. It wouldn’t. So he told me he had a piece in his truck that he had bought at the employee sale and thought that I might be interested in it. Out to the parking lot we go. It was the same piece I had pondered earlier. So I bought it at a much reduced price.
It sat in my garage for another month or so (and was obviously the victim of another spray painting project).
When I finally decided it was time to haul it out of storage and go to work, I questioned my sanity. Not only were there veneer issues but the decorative wood appliques on the legs and top were cracked and missing.
I pondered just scraping it all off but thought I would try making a mold of one of the pieces that was intact because it really brought some charm to the piece.
After much scraping, gluing, clamping, and molding, it was painted a made it’s way to the shop. Although not perfect, the repairs turned out pretty good. (Sorry no close-ups. I guess I ran away from it as soon as I had the chance!)