Thursday, July 31, 2014

I May be Crazy!

I wasn’t even sure how to label this post.  It was a colossal amount of work.   I kinda, sorta knew what I was getting myself into when I bought it and if it hadn’t been so cheap I would run away in a heartbeat!  I thought at very least it would be an education in what NOT to do.Chiffarobe Close

The appliques on the doors (which were my favorite part) had pretty much crumbled.  I glued the pieces that I had back on and then used Bondo (used for repairing auto bodies) to make the missing parts.  When that was dry (it dries very quickly) I used a blade to carve the parts to blend in.

(I don’t have any before pictures because I started working on it before Christmas last year and then it was put away for the holidays.  Then my computer died…pictures were lost….yada yada.  Plus, I needed to build my stamina to tackle this one!)

Chiffarobe top

The top was a mess and rather than try to repair the veneer (been there, done that…not fun), I chose to take it all off revealing the most beautifully imperfect top.  A little dark stain called Kona (I think – it’s been a while) and the top was beautiful.

Chiffarobe side

The veneer on the upper right recessed panel was bubbled so I sanded it as best I could and called it a day.  A couple of years ago I would have obsessed over it but not anymore….I‘ve learned that people embrace imperfection in beautiful old pieces.

Chiffarobe front

Thankfully all of the old hardware was there and it just needed a bath. 

With that, it was off to the shop where it took up residence for a week and then sold!

Friday, July 25, 2014

The Frumpy One

I picked up this dresser a few weeks ago.  It was rather plain and frumpy but it was good and solid.  Kind of on the masculine side and the knobs were a complete mismatch.
Moonlight white dresser BEF
Tres girly!Moonlight white dresser BEF 2
So with a little paint, some wood appliques and glass knobs….it was looking more feminine and shabby.  Maybe not for everyone but much more to my taste.
Moonlight white dresser AFTER 2
It’s in the shop but I am somewhat tempted to bring it back home.  It would work great in the kitchen with the shallow top drawer for silverware and the two deeper ones for linens, etc.  Hmmmmm…..

Moonlight white dresser AFTER

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Good Junk! An Oxymoron?


Unintentional junking is the very best kind!  It’s impossible to be disappointed!  So on Sunday I hopped in my car not sure of where I was going.  Do I turn left or do I turn right?  Left it was.


Chairs ‘n knobs ‘n mirrors.  Oh my!

Junking 2

First up was an estate sale.  I found the ladder and gold mirror there.  Then right around the corner was a roadside junk sale!  With loads of good junk!  Yippee!

Junking 4

Cast iron pulls, knobs and hooks!  An old cast iron “Letter” slot.  Weathered wood boxes.  My eyes didn’t know where to turn!

Junking 5

Junking 6

A colander and a very old (and delicate) mirror.

Junking 8

Junking 7

A gear of some kind (not sure what but I loved the patina!).  It’s marked “White Mountain Freezer” so I’m guessing it “grew up” in New Hampshire.

Junking Basket (2)

An old bakery basket. I’m not sure what this is made of.  I thought it was metal but it’s not.  It’s more like a rigid leather.  Not sure but it is cool!  There is very faint lettering on the side that says “Arnold” which I assume is the name of the bakery.

I’m so glad I turned “left”!

Monday, July 14, 2014

Reloved Window

I’ve always had a thing for old windows.  Years ago I dragged my dad out with his pick-up truck when a local nursery had changed out their windows and there was a stack of the oldies outside.  He was always game for my nonsense and we loaded up his truck.  I hoped to one day make a greenhouse with them but dad is now gone so…. so is that dream. 

I’ve since dug into the stash and done some upcycling.  You can see some of those projects here

My latest project is similar to this one that I have over my bed….

0525 Window AFTER

I did this one for the shop……

Old window florals 1

I used waistband elastic to hold the pictures in place.  I glued two strands across each pane on the sides (you can see them below) so that the pics can be easily changed out.

Old window florals